Monday, February 27, 2006

Girls Gone Wild!

I love my girls. I need to preface this post with that comment. They are sweet and full of life. The downside. They have more hormonal issues than boys!! My mother did not tell me that I would have to relive pre-pubescent hormonal angst. I thought once you went through it, that was just another dim spot in the deep recesses of your mind. Those days are rehashed when you are drunk and angry.

My girls are becoming more aware of the opposite sex. I thought all this started much later in life. After all, when I was nine, the only boy I loved was Captain America. At the time I wasn't fully aware that he wasn't my type. As I grew a little older Simon Le Bon was my choice. He was going to glance at me among millions of people at a concert and fall in love (braces, bad hair and all). I digress, my angst is the stuff of a book or an Oprah show.

So we go with friends to Disney this weekend. Their in-laws come also. My girls fell all over themselves because there were two boys their age in the group. They fought over seating arrangements and who was walking next to who. Snark and I were forgotten. My friends have boys so this behavior was new to them. They thought it was hysterical. I wanted to crawl into the nearest bush and hide.

What is it in their chemistry that makes little, innocent girls into hysterical divas? My older one literally pushed me to the side in her hurry to stand next to one of the boys. The reprimand fell on semi-deaf ears. The only indication she heard was an eye roll in my direction.

What?? An eye roll? What's next? Only heaven or Robert Mondavi is able to help me now.

The thought that gives me chills is if they are like this now, what is it going to be like when they are teens?

No comments: