Wednesday, January 11, 2006

A Book a Day keeps Illiteracy away!

I love books. I love to read. Hand me anything. I may not like the content but I will read it. Books are food. Every single one, even the ugly ones, are friends. My grandmother stuck a book in my hand at two. I have read as long as I can remember. I am not discriminate either. I am a book slut. I have friends who turn their noses up at romances or pot boilers to read these gut-wrenching, soul -provoking, migraine -inducing works of art. Give me a good pot-boiler any day. Reading is an escape. I don't want to think too hard when I am reading. That is why they have college textbooks and this thing called school.

Anyway, here is a list of what and who Lavagirl reads and re-reads. That is the hallmark of a great book. The ability to create the same emotions in the re-reading. BTW, this is an eclectic collection. There is no order to this.

Enid Blyton: Anything by this British children's author is worth reading. This was the author that started my love of books and food. I was transported into a magical world and when I was chased into the garden proceeded to look for gnomes and fairies that took you to such places as "Birthday Land" and sometimes,unfortunately, the "Land of Smacks".

Helen Fielding: "Bridget Jones Diary" made me laugh out loud. I enjoyed the sequel and that is where my enjoyment ends. Bridget was insecure, smoked and ate too much. My kind of woman

The Harry Potter Series: Little did I know when I picked up the first book out of boredom, that I would become this obsessive lunatic about this series. When Book 6 came out I shut my bedroom door and told anyone to enter at their own risk. Need I say more.

The Da Vinci Code: I'm putting this book down because it really it a fantastic work of FICTION. Okay people, just remember that and then read the book. I bet the people who believe that this book is the truth are the same ones that think there is a Hogwarts. That said Dan Brown puts me to sleep. I believe he is a one-hit wonder.

Dorothy Cannell: "The Thin Woman" is laugh out loud and she is consistently great! Just wish she would put something else out.

I have some more, but I need to continue this post in two parts so that is it for now.

1 comment:

lavagirl said...

No, but I just held it at the library. Thanks.