Monday, October 31, 2005

A-maized

We try to do one outing a weekend. The other day, we rest or fold laundry. We all have different ideas on where to go. We have the luxury of living near Orlando, so Snarkboy loves going to Disney. He says it makes him happy. The other place that makes him happy is Costco.

I prefer running around town and eating. The kids are easy as long as it doesn't involve grocery shopping or going to Costco. I admit, I use that weekend outing to bribe my kids to behave. Bad mother!

This weekend, the youngest asked when we were going to a corn maze. We went last year, and I guess the torture of it stuck with her. I jumped on that idea and after convincing Snarkboy I'd take him to Magic Kingdom the next week, I got on the "net" to find one.

I found one in Zellwood. It was a six-acre maze cut into the shape of an American soldier. We got directions and off we went.

Cars were already lined up to go in. From there you went to the ticket desk and got wristbands. I plopped down $28.00 for the four of us to lose ourselves. About 30 strangers crowded together to see a short video on maze etiquette. NO cursing, no running and no cutting through the corn. Stay on the path. If you got lost, you hoisted your flag pole and shouted "For the love of God and country get me out."

I added the last bit. You were supposed to yell "Help me."

We were given questionnaires with 18 questions and 12 rubbings to seek out throughout the maze. All the questions were pertaining to U.S. military history. Snarkboy loved that, being a patriotic kinda guy. The girls weren't so thrilled. They were hoping for a questionnaire on Disney.

For the record we never hoisted the flag. It took us two hours to find all the stations in the maze. In the process we all learned some military history. We had a great time, and there is nothing like getting lost that makes you extra friendly to strangers. We all gave directions and giggled when we passed each other several times. If you would like to try a maze here is a website to see if there is one in your area.

No comments: