Wednesday, October 11, 2006

The Affair...

I had a friend who had an affair. Notice how I said had? I would have understood if her marriage was unhappy and hey, I would have understood if it was a one time thing. But when she told me about it she added the fatal words that ended our friendship "I will do it again." So in spite of her being as close to me as a sister, I ended it.

I did it because I knew that there was nothing wrong with her marriage, just her lack of self esteem at the time. I did it because in a world filled with selfish people I knew her husband was not one of them. He was good and kind and decent not to mention drop dead gorgeous. He adored her. I knew she did it because she was feeling unattractive and when you have a twenty-two year boy saying he found you attractive either you sink with him or you swim away.

But this post is not about right or wrong. I was thinking the other day why I wouldn't have an affair. At some point in your life you think about your attractiveness to the opposite sex. And if you don't, you are lying to yourself. I have had a couple of opportunities to turn a light flirtation into something more. I never have and won't.

Why?Because I am one lazy gal. Snark and I have been together for 13 years. I know at this point in my marriage if I don't feel like shaving my armpits one day Snark is not going to comment or really care. The same goes for legs, oh ,and the waxing thing.

I look at myself in the mirror. I see saggy boobs, stretch marks and cellulite. And he is the only man who knows that the boobs and stretch marks are badges of honor.

I've been with him long enough that I can say "you know..." and be distracted by something else and won't complete the rest of my sentence. Yet, he knows that I really want that last Godiva bar in the freezer (which is precisely what happened last night). And you know what, he got up and got it. Of course he ate half which peeved me, but I didn't say he was perfect.

I also know that love is not the only thing that holds you together. If people expect love to be the be all end all then they are probably headed for an affair.

No comments: